Monday, July 09, 2007

"Never Forget"

Funerals are never fun. They make you reflect on your own life just a little bit. Make you look at just where you are in the world and where you want to be. For most people however there attendance of a funeral is rare. When deployed over here however it is an all too often occurrence. For me, in the 9 months I have been here, I have attended 17. Yes, 1- 7.

The battalion that I am attached to over here in Iraq lost another soldier just he other day. It hurts when we lose a guy. There aren’t a whole lot of us here on the FOB so whether you knew him well or not, you will definitely recognize his face. The guys I am with got here two months before my unit did putting them deep in the fourth quarter with just a little less than two months to go. Two months to go and he got hit. It’s awful.

We had his “Hero Ceremony” for him today. We all formed up in two rows with room in the middle for the stretcher team to carry the body bag draped in an American flag to the awaiting Blackhawk’s to carry him away. We all saluted as the body passed by and quietly said our goodbyes, dropped our salutes and filed to the right continuing on with the fight. The gears of war just keep grinding away, never stopping for much of anything.

I didn’t know the kid, I had seen his face but that was about it. Still doesn’t change the fact that he was the seventeenth soldier lost from the FOB. I have lost six from my company alone. A company that only consisted of 84 soldiers to begin with and 12 of them never leave the FOB. Hopefully this will be the last time I ever write a blog like this.

5 Comments:

At Jul 9, 2007, 3:48:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

we all love you jake...

 
At Jul 9, 2007, 3:51:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake,

You put your life on the line everyday for your country. I have the greatest respect for you and all the soldiers in this ongoing war. We pray for those who have given their lives to make this world a better, safer place. We pray for you everyday and counting the days until you're home.

Love you,

Aunt Cathey & family

 
At Jul 10, 2007, 6:51:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jake, Thank you for reminding us that as we blithely go about our lives enjoying our freedom, we should remember that we owe it all to you and the members of the armed forces that protect us, that fight for freedom everywhere, that give their lives in the name of freedom. Oh how I wish it could be won without bloodshed, but the radicals of the world would have it their way. We are so proud of you and your comrades, so thankful for the good work you do, and constantly praying for your safety. Our hearts go out to you and your fallen comrades' families. We love you, Lisa

 
At Jul 10, 2007, 6:05:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just breaks my heart, please remember that I love you so much!

 
At Jul 11, 2007, 1:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake,

I am so sorry to hear of another loss. With tears in my eyes, I read your blog and can't imagine what hell it is being over there and loosing one of your own. Can't thank you and the other military enough for what you do. You are in our prayers daily. Love, Mikie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home