Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Farewell Tour

Mission Complete. Finally after 415 days in Iraq, after countless trips up and down Route Tampa, after so many nights at Patrol Base Love; I am complete. I left Holly, my friends, my family and my life on October 1st 2006. From there I had no idea what to expect. It was all still unsure where we would be fighting and what our mission would truly be. All we knew is that we were coming over here and we weren’t coming back anytime soon.

My first patrol was on October 17th 2006. My first IED attack was on that same day. The first time I fired my weapon with intent to kill was that day. That day, that attack just south of the small canal bridge set the pace for what became the wildest 14 months of my life. A year was packed full of roadside bombs, mortar attacks, RPG attacks, small arms attacks, culvert bombs, car bombs and guys wearing suicide vest. I witnessed two IED’s up close and very personally and have the Purple Heart to prove it. I saw it all with my own two eyes and no longer through CNN and FOX News. I finally saw just what it was all about over here, what it truly is to be a soldier and what it is to fight for your life.

But finally here I am, after all of that, sitting in my CHU typing what will be one of the final pages in this chapter of my life. I only got out of my tank and unloaded my weapons just a little over an hour ago. But unless something way out of left field or something terribly tragic happens, that should have been and hopefully will be my last patrol. I am done. I am passing the torch to the soldiers of the 101st Airborne Division and wishing them the best of luck with this little slice of Hell on Earth. No more Route Tampa. No more Patrol Base Love.

I can’t really describe the feeling. Part of me, if not most of me feels like it’s not even true. Like it’s all a cruel joke and we aren’t really leaving and until we go, “wheels up” and head to Kuwait I imagine it will continue to feel this way. But tonight was my last patrol. Only eight more days on the FOB. Twelve more days left in Iraq and only fifteen more days until I am standing on that parade field… Only fifteen more days…



Note: Due to a blackout this blog not quite so hot off the press. It's like 3 days old.

6 Comments:

At Nov 13, 2007, 11:20:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know if you will get this before you leave, but wanted to tell you how very proud we are of you. the emotions you must be feeling right now have to be overwhelming. safe travels, and as always, GOD SPEED and the Lord keep you safely in His arms. see you soon, t and t owens

 
At Nov 13, 2007, 11:26:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Godspeed, Jake. Our country needs more people like you. "Thank you" does not seem to be enough, but we are greatly appreciative of everything you've done and sacrificed. Be safe.

 
At Nov 13, 2007, 4:33:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! We've been on pins & needles though that last patrol and now we just can't wait to know you are home safely. The good old USA is waiting for you Jake!!! You have our utmost thanks for all you and your friends have done for us. Lisa & Dave

 
At Nov 13, 2007, 5:26:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank the Lord. and thank you, Jake, for all you've done. but i must say, we are so freakin excited to have you back. see you in 15 minus 3 minus however long it takes you to get to norman days!! -kjb and blake

 
At Nov 14, 2007, 11:15:00 AM , Blogger 5150Wife said...

Wow, it's been one helluva ride. Thank God it's coming to an end soon and you're coming home.
THANK YOU for doing what you do.

 
At Nov 16, 2007, 2:15:00 PM , Blogger OK Katrina said...

Wonderful News! I am grateful, our nation is grateful for your service and your sacrifice and the sacrifices made by your family. Thank you for protecting us all.

I pray that as you make your way home, things will go safely and smoothly and that you will be celebrating the holidays with your loved ones before you know it.

Sincerely,
Katrina

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home