Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Now Hiring

There comes a point in everyone’s Army career were the must decide; “Should I stay in?” or “Should I get out?” I came to this point back when I was in Korea and I decided to stay with the Army for a few more years. I decided to stay in because the main reason I came in to the Army in the first place was to come over here [Iraq], fight the fight, see what I was made of and see just how I would react when bullets start ripping past my head.

So here I am today, 23 years old, a Sergeant in the United States Army, a Abrams Tank Gunner, a dismounted squad leader, and responsible for the lives of the soldiers that action on my commands. And on September 17th I will have completed four years of service to this great Army. I have now seen what I all I can do at the absolute worst of times. I know what its like to be shot at and blown up. I have seen rockets and RPG fired at me, mortars explode around me, I have seen hand grenades thrown in the streets as our patrols move through. I have been pinned down by machine gun fine and I seen fellow soldiers take their last breathes. I have done and seen everything I wanted to and much more than I ever dreamed I would.

The question now is; “Do I want to get out?” I don’t really remember what it is like to be out in the civilian world. It seems so odd and kind of scary. Can I adjust to it? Can Holly and I spend that much time together and not go crazy? The main thing is that both Holly and I really want to go back to school and get our degrees. She wants to be settled in a place where she can go to school and not have to worry about moving or about me leaving and coming back over here for another 14 months. I want to get out and just start a new life free of the Army. I have “checked all the blocks” on my list of things to do in the Army and when I came into this I never intended it to become a career. But then again I never thought I would be this good at it.

After hours and hours and days and days of discussing all this I think I have come to a decision. I am getting out. I am hanging it up. I am going back to school, and I am going to become a normal member or society.

As it stands right now, our plan will be to move back to the great state of Oklahoma, and start taking classes. We are both going to try to scrap by and work our asses off not only in school but at our part-time jobs as well. I think that will be the hardest thing for us. Granted the Army pay isn't exactly great, but going from a full time salary with full medical and dental benefits and life insurance to well, very little will be quite the wallet shock. But I believe if we work hard enough for the next few years then we can get through school pretty quickly and be better off in the long run.

So I guess that’s it. Come July 26th, 2008 I will no longer be a part of the Army. However, if for some reason, if civilian life just isn’t working out, the Army will always be hiring.

8 Comments:

At Sep 4, 2007, 10:55:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay!!! we cannot wait for the two of you to come home!! you just made my whole day.
-kendall

 
At Sep 4, 2007, 3:38:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've certainly done your part fighting the fight jake. we'll be glad to have you home safe & sound. we'll always be proud of you and thankful for all you've done! and we have no doubt you'll be successful at whatever you do. love you so much, lisa & dave

 
At Sep 5, 2007, 7:46:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it's time, it's time. I know Holly is ready to have you home and safe along with the rest of us that love you. Take care and know that we will always be thankful for all of your sacrifices. Love, Mikie

 
At Sep 5, 2007, 6:50:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of what you've done and I'm happy that you've come to this decision. But I thought we were supposed to go through Helos together. No big deal...love ya and miss you bro ha.

Beau

 
At Sep 10, 2007, 10:46:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the decision. Jennifer approves and is proud of her friend.

 
At Sep 12, 2007, 9:03:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The United States Army has been fortunate to have a soldier of your caliber defending our country and fighting for our freedoms. Jake, you are the BEST! We stand behind any decision you make...this was a tough one but a good one. We're ready to have you back on our soil - you're getting ready to take on a new career, one that you'll find fits you perfectly! Looking forward to seeing you soon...saying prayers for you and all our soldiers daily. Love you Jake!
Aunt Cathey & Family

 
At Sep 14, 2007, 5:58:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only are they always hiring but I bet they pay a good bonus for "prior experience"....look forward to meeting you...spoke with Grandmary yesterday...they are in Lake Tahoe...Papa Bear was getting his "clock cleaned" at the slots!

Dan

 
At Sep 15, 2007, 11:11:00 AM , Blogger 5150Wife said...

I just found your blog and -Wow!- I'm hooked!

Glad you made the decision you did. Always does my heart good when one of our Heroes gets to come home. But even more so when they come back to Okieville!

Be safe!


K-

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home