Friday, June 01, 2007

Rest and Recuperation – Part I

I am back and boy, did I not miss this place. Things are still the same. It’s still hot; about 107 today in the shade. It still smells like dirt, exhaust and poor people and it still is a very dangerous place. I left here on May 5th, and since then I lost a good friend and former Lieutenant. By far the best LT I have ever had and was a true hard charging leader and it was an honor to get to work with him. Another good friend has lost his leg and another is in serious condition and is still in the balance as he recovers from his wounds. Three other soldiers from a platoon that is attached to my company and guys I have worked with on several missions were also killed just a few days ago. A lot has happened while I was gone; but how great it was to be gone.

Now that all the sad business has been discussed I would like to share with you just how great my time away from this place truly was. I honestly could not have asked for a better time at home, with my friends, with my family, with Holly, with everyone. I never realized just how much I missed everyone and just how great America is.

From the time I landed at DFW it was an awesome show of support. It started with the DFW Fire Department spraying their water cannons in a big arch over our plane as it pulled off the runway. Then as we moved off the plane and walked towards the US Customs area we passed the terminal were everyday people just waiting for their flights stood up and applauded and cheered for us and we made our way through. It was an awesome feeling for sure and the first of many goosebumps. After we got our leave paperwork stamped and cleared customs we made our way to the terminal where most soldiers would be boarding connecting flights but this where several soldiers and I met up with our very anxious families.

As I rounded the corner and came out of the hallway I was met face first by dozens and dozens of proud veterans, school kids, supporters and probably the best kiss ever from Holly. It was a complete blur of cheering people wanting to shake your hand, give you hugs, little bags of cookies and candy and support. It was so much I almost didn’t even see Holly and my family and Holly’s family waiting there. Never in my life could I have imagined such a awesome home coming.

After we left the airport everything was just perfect. The weather was beautiful and we were all able to sit down and enjoy and great All-American breakfast at none other than, IHOP.

Okay so now its time for you all to get back to work, your boss wouldn’t appreciate all the company time you spend reading my blog I imagine. I will type more about my great adventures soon. As for any of you that just might be sitting in the Dallas, Texas area with nothing better to do on any given morning there will always be troops coming home at Terminal D and trust me, they would love to shake your hand.

2 Comments:

At Jun 1, 2007, 5:47:00 PM , Blogger Bionic 1 said...

Good luck with your blog bro.
Bionic1

 
At Jul 27, 2007, 8:07:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake this blog brought a tear to my eye... I was so glad I got to see you when you were home. And yes, I'm completely spending company time reading these... haha... I have been the un-lucky customer of the hellacious ComCast that still does not have the internet a month after moving.... Amelia

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home