Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Top 5 from the Army

Okay the Army issues us soldiers tons of stuff. Most of the stuff we never use. It just sits in a duffle bag in a closet somewhere. But you have got to give those guys some credit where credit is due. They have issued us some alright stuff. This is really a cold-weather list because it’s pretty cold over here right now. When the summer rolls around then I will make another list. Now most of you don’t know exactly what all this stuff is so I will try to explain but these are my top five things the Army has issued to me.

5. The Gortex Jacket – It’s about the only thing the Army has issued that does a somewhat good job of keeping the water off you. The wet weather gear they issue is definitely number one on the worst piece of issued equipment. The gortex keeps the water off and is good for the cold but also breathes well so you don’t over heat in it.

4. The Gaiter Neck- All it is really is some elastic/cotton blend that tops kinda like a tube top but really small and you wear it over your neck and ears and face. You wear it about a hundred different ways and its great for keeping the cold air off you ears and face. It also works great at keeping the dust and dirt off you too.

3. The Advanced Combat Helmet – First let me tell you about the old Kevlar helmet. It was the most awful, poorly devised creation ever. Seriously, it was the most miserable most uncomfortable thing to wear. This new one is lighter and has an adjustable pad system inside to cushion it around your head unlike the other one that just had a band that squeezed your skull all day.

2. Individual Body Armor
– This stuff has saved countless lives over here. I cant believe that my Grandfather use to storm the beaches in the pacific without it. As heavy and uncomfortable as it may be at times it may end up saving my life some day. The have also added side plates and other additional protective pieces for it as well. They have got a little too carried away for me with some of this stuff. I stick to the ballistic plates, the neck and throat pieces and the “groin” protector. A shot there would make you very combat ineffective if you know what I mean.

1. The 3 part sleeping bag- You have your heavy winter bag, a lighter summer bag and then a gortex liner to protect you from the elements. The bet part is you can hook them all together to build a super sleeping bag that will keep you warm on the coldest of nights. Its also ridiculously comfortable, and it if could get away with sleeping in it back home I just might do it. Holly says it doesn’t match the sheets so I can’t.




This song quote will come from classic Willie Nelson.
“Don’t Take Your Guns To Town”

“He laughed and kissed his mom and said;
Your Billy Joes’ a man;
I can shoot as quick and straight as anybody can;
But I wouldn’t shoot without a cause;
I wouldn’t gun nobody down...”









Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Jan 2, 2007, 6:33:00 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Yeah no sleeping bag in the bed, just like no sweatpants. Sorry, but Lola and I promise to keep you warm when you are sleeping a home...

<3HOlly

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home