Thursday, January 04, 2007

Legendary

So there is this place over here called LSA Anaconda. Its like a super FOB, it has a air base on it and the Navy has some kids there and I think I may have even seen a Jarhead or two. But this place is huge. This place is nothing like the dinky little FOB I call home up here. This place has everything, from a PX to Burger King to barber shops to a movie theater and concert stadium to Pizza Hut. See, where I am we have none of that. We have a two room “mud-hut” that has been made the “PX” (Army version Wal-Mart) and a DFAC (Dining Facility) and a Gym (That doesn’t stand for anything. It’s just a gym).
I am two and a half hours away from Anaconda straight down the worst stretch of highway in the world. So us just stopping by on the weekend is out of the question. But today we were lucky; our mission was to actually go there for legitimate business. That is where I encountered what will be forever known as; “The Greatest Pizza Ever”. Yeah, that’s right, EVER! See, I have been deployed for nearly 100 days now. And I haven’t seen anything that resembles “real” food in quite some time. Of course I have my junk food and snacks, but what I missed was a BigMac with fries, a chimichanga, Chick-fil-A 8-pack nuggets, a Grand Slam breakfast from Denny’s; the great food that America was founded on.
So there I am with a decision to make. Should I go with “Option A” or “Option B”? Should I go for the burger and fries from the BK Lounge or a hot and tasty pizza from Pizza Hut. I obviously went for “Option B” and it was so worth it. I got a medium knowing that even if I didn’t eat it all I would take the cold, dust covered leftovers all the way back to my FOB, overheat them in the most unreliable microwave this side of Istanbul, and enjoy every last scrap. I just might even eat the grease soaked cardboard. Okay that’s a little to far, I would never eat grease, cardboard maybe, grease no way.
But this is where the pizzas awesomeness comes in to play. I was served it fresh out the oven, the cheese still so hot it was nearly a liquid. Oh yeah, I got a Hawaiian pizza, the one with pineapples and Canadian bacon. Great choice, I know. So I dig in and it was shear bliss for the next 10 minutes. I devoured that pizza. It was just to amazing I couldn’t stop eating it. It was also 2pm and I had yet to eat so add that to the goodness that was the pizza and you have the making of this tale.
See what this all really means is that I really miss fast food and all the unhealthy things that the U.S of A has to offer. In America that pizza probably tasted like road kill but here, well it made this soldier’s day that’s for sure.



To keep with the mood of today the song selection is from Modest Mouse.
“Float On”
“Don’t worry even if things end up a bit too heavy;
We’ll all float on alright…”

1 Comments:

At Jan 28, 2007, 2:48:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completly know that feeling. i love you, jennifer

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home