Thursday, February 08, 2007

Nothing Fancy

The last few days have been rather “slow”. But slow is not always a bad thing. Slow is also safe and being alive is pretty cool so I think I will keep doing it. The only real big earth shattering news is the fact that we finally got internet run to our CHU’s. So I can finally sit here in the comfort of my room and talk online to everyone, and surf the endless “World Wide Web”. It’s fantastic; I wasted nearly a whole year in Korea online so I plan on doing the same here. You won’t believe the things for sell on EBay…

About a week ago I went on my first “air assault” mission. We took two Chinooks (The big double rotor helicopters) into a small village near the Tigris that was reportedly building IED’s and where hiding a large cache up there. But, it actuality they had nothing. It was fun running on and off the helicopter like we were storming the beaches of Normandy but other than that we walked around kicking rocks looking for clues. The only shots fired were at a stray dog that was trying to fight Eddie, the bomb sniffing dog. The dog handlers 9mm won that fight. As a Tanker, I never expected to be doing these type of missions so its fun to switch it up from time to time. I actually do very little “Tanking” we spend a lot of time in gun trucks and on the ground; which last I checked was the Infantry’s job. But anyways we get the job done with minimal complaining, even though we would much rather be in our tanks where IED’s a joke and we can destroy a car traveling 50 mph over two miles away. Which beats the trucks where I have a range of less than a quarter mile, and it takes a few well placed shots to stop a car. With the tank, it just takes one squeeze of the triggers to turn a car inside out in a fraction of a second.

Enough violence, I got a few packages the other day from some fantastic people and I am afraid that now that I have all these cookies and candy and the internet right here, I will soon gain a few dozen pounds. Well, maybe until summer comes along and then I think I will sweat back down to skin and bones. That’s all I really got though. Hope you all are doing well. I’ll try to write again soon.

Me and my "AG" pulling security behind some "serious" cover...

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At Feb 8, 2007, 11:05:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,
I got your note today and I'm glad to know that you have recovered. I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about what you are doing. Please know that we are all supporting you and your efforts. It makes us all proud to know we have excellent troops there and doing something to help others.
Stay safe!
Claudia S. (friend of the Porters)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home