Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Impossible Passport

So those quality people in congress have once again done us all such a great service with this new law requiring a passport for those who plan of visiting Canada and our fence jumping brothers to the south, Mexico. It may be a big victory that will somehow help crack down on terrorism, but you only need a passport if you are flying into the states. Drivers and guest aboard cruise ships are still good to head out with out one, but they are encouraged to get one.

You may be wondering why I am even talking about this and what does it have to do with me. Well, while am over here fighting for the good ole “Mother Land” they are passing laws that are screwing up my dreams of white sand beaches and drinks with little umbrellas. From what I have learned is that all us travelers flying to Mexico need a passport, which really is no big deal. No big deal if you are in America. But last I checked I am not; I am in freaking Iraq! Therefore making the passport process much more difficult.

Now I have to first get permission to even attempt this little trip, second schedule a trip on a Blackhawk into Baghdad to visit the embassy. Normally I wouldn’t even attempt such a trip, Baghdad is crazy and helicopters are not doing a good job of staying in the air. I know I would be fine and am not worried about the adventure down there if it even gets approved. But it does skim through your thought process.

If this was all just regular R&R I really wouldn’t be to upset, there are a million places in America that I would love to travel too. But Holly and I are getting married soon and we were going to use this abundance of time and cash to take a nice trip somewhere really fun. Its going to be our honeymoon, just beofr the wedding thats all. We have thought about maybe going to Italy to see Val and the sights out there; or Cozumel for the beaches, relaxation and “all-inclusiveness”. Then there are a few other exotic Caribbean hot spots that we have looked in to. I mean this will be our honeymoon and we don’t want to stay and the Best Western in Amarillo. I have been over here for to damn long too not go big while on leave. We have earned this trip so we are going to take this trip!

So now here I am between a rock and a hard place. I got people researching this new little law; hopefully there is a loophole for soldiers. If not, hopefully I can get down to Baghdad and get that passport and get it to the states before my leave starts. I guess these next few weeks will tell the tale. Hopefully it’s not to late though.

Let keep those fingers crossed and I think it’s time I start working on “Plan B”

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Feb 15, 2007, 8:28:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jake, i just emailed our senators from tinker and i. hopefully we'll get some responses soon. will keep you posted. you take care. terri

 
At Feb 15, 2007, 11:11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

jake, please think more than twice about flying into baghdad, there are some beautiful white beaches in florida just waiting for you two.........annie

 
At Feb 15, 2007, 2:09:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake: I used to work for some Members of Congress and Senators and now I'm a lawyer. I am talking with one of the military legislative assistants/caseworkers to see what we can do. I am friends with Mikie et al. Thanks for everything, you rock. -- Andrea

 
At Feb 15, 2007, 3:04:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

jake, congressman tom cole's office emailed back and said they would be happy to help out. have your mom call mona taylor, 329-6500. mention my email and my name. the office is here in norman. i will forward the email to her if i can get her email address or yours. terri owens

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home